Monday, October 27, 2008

Large Project Management - Central File

I have been meaning to post this for awhile, just not enough hours in the day.

I have been asked numerous questions about Large Project Management, so I thought I would put together several posts on that topic. I am sure that my boss Phil Read of HNTB Architecture and and my friend Daniel Hurtubise of RevitIt (update your blog you crazy Canadian) will also have some comments on this very subject as well.

One important topic that I think gets overlooked from time to time is Saving to Central, so here are my comments on the matter.

Save to Central:
• Some will say that there is no clear rule for the best practice on how frequently users should save to central. Because a Save to Central can utilize substantial amounts of time to process and utilizing a great deal of network bandwidth, you are probably not going to Save to Central too often. That being said, you don't want to go too often without saving, because the local file(s) will be way out of sync with the Central file.
• We generally recommend that users perform local saves often. We recommend that users perform a local Save every 15 minutes and then 15 minutes later perform a Save to Central every 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the project. (I used to think this was too often, but has Daniel pointed out to me, the more often you STC, the less data that is being transmitted back and forth).

No comments:

Is anyone using Deep Space for analytics? https://www.deepspacesync.com/